Thread: Power Flash Schematic

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Power Flash Schematic

Hi - Long time lurker, first time poster. My dad gave me this machine sometime in the mid 70s. I remember playing it for a few minutes, then a fantastic shower of sparks blew out of the transformer and burned a hole in the carpet. It has been kept in this state ever since, with my plan being to someday return it to functional. That day is nearly here - I know a bit about coin op and vintage electronics, but my preferred way of navigating wiring is to have a schematic. Looking things over, I think the 24v side looks pristine, but as shown in the photos, the lights and wires for balls-out and jackpot were cut, and since I was an 8 year old at the time, I have no memory of what came out or why - guessing the wires may have been charred, but the junction block does not look burnt. I'll post photos of that part as well.

With that, my questions for the experts:
    1) Is a schematic available for the model B power flash?
    2) For the transformer, I've seen some videos where they have each of the two yellow and one black wire split - is making a 12 and 24v feed simply the pairing of two yellow (+) and one black (-) for 24v, and one yellow and one black to make 12v for the lights?

I'm a novice with these - thanks for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following user says "Thanks" to JPierson

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Power Flash Schematic

Pardon my earlier typos - Once I figure out how to edit, I will clean that up. Here are additional photos of the various bits. The ball-out switch vanished along the way, and the replacement I found may or may not work - I need to tweak the lever or the holder to get those parts to play with each other. How to tie it in to the ball-out circuit is a stumper - The wiring and switches inside the unit looks to be intact, but I'm not sure - Getting the various two circuits restored is the next step. Thanks again!
    image9.jpegimage2.jpegimage0.jpeg

4. The following user says "Thanks" to JPierson

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Power Flash Schematic

I’m not aware of any schematics for a Powerflash unless somebody around here made some.

The easiest/cheapest way is to just buy a “wall wart” type plug in transformer; since it’s just 2 wires splice/connect after you cut the connector off the end and strip the wires; you can even run some jumper wires to convert the lights to run off 24v too… just need to buy the proper 24v bulbs.

That’s what I did.

Last edited by lotsoballs; 09-24-2024 at 08:29 PM.

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

8. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

and biscuits
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

10. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

IMG_3305.jpg
    Went with the online guidance regarging the power source - The center tap transformer. Wired it up as recommended on some youtube posts, powered it up, and by all indications, no power left the unit, but it did get very hot, and while it did not smoke, the unmistakable scent indicates suggests this NOS unit has ceased to be. It also blew the circuit breaker to the plug.

Next step - the recommended wall wart(s) and a reconfigured junction block. Since it's been more than 40 years since I knew how to work this, I can't remember how to get the ball bypass to reset, so loading the hopper just passes the balls to the rear tub...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JPierson View Post
    IMG_3305.jpg
    Went with the online guidance regarging the power source - The center tap transformer. Wired it up as recommended on some youtube posts, powered it up, and by all indications, no power left the unit, but it did get very hot, and while it did not smoke, the unmistakable scent indicates suggests this NOS unit has ceased to be. It also blew the circuit breaker to the plug.

Next step - the recommended wall wart(s) and a reconfigured junction block. Since it's been more than 40 years since I knew how to work this, I can't remember how to get the ball bypass to reset, so loading the hopper just passes the balls to the rear tub...
    There’s a sliding metal ball release “lock”; the previous owner labeled mine permanent marker. Just reset it like this keep the balls from dumping.